Making money with blogs is a popular choice for many Work At Home Moms.
Blogs are simple to set up, and relatively easy to update. Within just a few minutes, you can set up a professional looking blog for free through a free blogging platform, like www.blogger.com or www.wordpress.com. There are also a half dozen others to choose from.
Before you start your blog, you must choose a blog topic. Your topic doesn’t have to be popular, but it does have to have a dedicated group of people who are interested in the topic. Do some research on the Internet to see if people are interested in your chosen topic/niche. There are big and small niches and the choices are endless. Try to find a happy medium with your topic/niche interest so that your blog has plenty of readers.
The following tips can make your blog more user-friendly and help you gain consistent readers. If your readers can’t understand your blog and have trouble reading it, they’ll just move on to the next one. .
1. Pay close attention to the format of your blog. Readers want to understand how your blog works right from the start. Most blogging platforms have similar formats, with links and tags on the left or right margin, and the most recent post on top.
2. Use links wisely. Only put links up for blogs or content that is truly related to your blog’s topic. Keep the list short and sweet.
3. When choosing your blog’s background and font color it is best to stick with a light background and dark text. Studies have shown that the human brain can process this type of format better than light text on a dark background. Use a solid background color instead of trying to use a pattern or design.
4. The blogging platform will walk you through making your first entry into your blog and you will have just started your blogging business.
5. Try to post at least once per day. With so much information available on the Internet, your readers may go elsewhere if you aren’t supplying daily content. If you aren’t sure what to write about, try posting a poll, a link to another blog, comment on a news story or post of list of helpful tips.
6. Proofread your entries before you post them. There is nothing that reduces your authority in the eyes of your readers’ more than bad spelling and grammar.
After you’ve made a few entries into your blog, it’s time to monetize your blog.
One of the most popular ways to gain income from a blog is by using a contextual advertising program like Google Adsense, Text Link Ads, etc... You will be paid several cents for each click. It doesn’t seem like a lot per click, but it sure does add up quickly.
Some companies will pay bloggers to create posts that suggest certain products or services. These companies pay a few dollars per post, and are fairly easy to use. The only drawback is that you’ll have advertising posts throughout your blog content. Many bloggers have found that by putting “And now a word from our sponsors” at the beginning of each of their required advertising posts make the advertising appear less intrusive.
Finally, you can also use Affiliate products and make gentle recommendations throughout their blogs to your readers. Each time someone buys a product you recommend, you will get a commission.
In no time, you’ll have a profitable blog and then you can move on to create two or three.